Tuesday 9 January 2018

Well, I faced a conundrum with Midnight. I wrote her a grieving scene after Nosey (her Raccoon friend and sidekick) died, the same day as Chief Fisheagle, who had been a guide and mentor to her. She was grieving, and Hawk was comforting her. Before the rewrite to expand the scene, that was the end of the chapter. Then the beta readers arose in frustration, and demanded  "MORE MIDNIGHT!" in Evolution.

In an effort to placate the mob, I decided to expand on that scene. I was writing along, and suddenly felt that I was writing a ROMANCE! I quickly tied the scene off and moved on to another scene where Midnight was asking Shin, the spymaster, to explain organized religion, as it manifested in the Song Empire and other places in the world, to her.

Meanwhile, Nanc had gotten her hands on the first rewrite. She was not impressed. She wanted MORE romance! Not being a stupid man, I went back and drew out the comforting, etc, and went back to the other rewrite. Not good. It took at least five revisions and additions of (gasp) Romance!

I finally got the Nanc seal of approval! I hope that my hopelessly romantic readers appreciate the toll it took on my psyche.

Anyone that wants to read the new text can just leave a message, either here as a comment, or on the Whispers 1031 AD Facebook page. I will send you the new version.

No comments: